Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I apologize in advance if this offends anyone....

Back in my early twenties, 23 to be exact, I decided to get a belly button ring. Why? Because all my friends got one, I thought it was sexy and cool, etc. I took it out a long time ago....that was just my personal preference to do so. If you are 50 and still have one, I don't care, I'm not judging you.


Now, with all that being said, I can assure you that had I ever been impregnated while I still had said belly button ring, it would have been removed immediately. And if for some reason, after I had that child, and I decided I just had to have one again, then I would go and have it re-pierced. I'm telling you all this, because I just recently found out that the boyfriend's sister kept her belly button ring in throughout her entire pregnancy. Again, if this is something you have done, I'm not judging you.


Before I wrote this post, I went looking for pictures of pregnant women with belly button rings. I decided not to share because, well, it just wasn't very attractive to say the least. There was one of a woman that was only 11 weeks pregnant and it looked quite painful.


Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I am being a little judgmental, but my final thought is this......if you're not ready to give up your belly button ring, then you're probably not ready to have a child.


What are your thoughts?

7 comments:

DietCokeStraightUp said...

You I had one when I was 16 because everyone else did! Then I realized that I never showed my stomach at all so I figured, oh well time to take it out. You rock for having the confidence!! And I didn't even know you could keep the ring while you were pregnant?

Always a Bridesmaid said...

While my post-holiday stomach is currently bloated to the point that I LOOK seven months pregnant, I would never, EVER have a belly button ring if I were pregs. (Which isn't likely right now anyhow... unless there's going to be a modern-day immaculate conception happening.)

Medicated and Motivated said...

Good Gals - I didn't know you could keep it either until the boyfriend told me that his sister did that. I would think that the Doctor would make you take it out.

Always - That's the exact same line I used to use about the immaculate conception! :)

Whitney said...

I don't really know my thoughts on this. I do know that I have never been pregnant OR had a belly button ring. I can imagine that it might not be the best thing for the baby, though. And, to me personally, after a certain time period in your life it's just TIME to part with it!

Anonymous said...

OK, to Whitney...would totally not affect the baby.

To M&M. If I looked hot with the ring while prego, I'd keep it. I would not look hot though, so it's a non-issue for me.

If I can lose 15 pounds (working on it) I think I might go get one. I have three little buggers and a belly button ring might be just the thing I need to make me feel hot again.

BTW, I do think if you have a belly button ring, a deep dark tropical tan is required. Just sayin'

Medicated and Motivated said...

Nobody You Know - Go for it! I say if you've got the body for it, then do what makes you feel good. I personally didn't feel like I had the body for it anymore, plus it just started irritating me.

From the pictures I saw when I was looking for a picture for this post, nobody looks good pregnant with a belly button ring in, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure a supermodel could probably pull it off though.

And you are correct about the tan!

At least I'm skinny said...

I vote a big fat no on the keeping a belly button ring while pregnant. That sounds completely trashy to me.